ADVERTISEMENT

Football Day 1 Practice Complete

jason stamm

Aug 11, 2008
Closed practice, but below is the release from UC Athletics:

The University of Cincinnati football team held its first practice of fall camp on Wednesday, exactly one month away from its first game of the 2024 season.

“Overall I think we had good energy on day one, the guys seem focused and intent on going out and practicing well,” head coach Scott Satterfield said. “I thought we threw the ball and caught the ball well, and I thought the defense was running around and making plays. For the first day I thought it was a really solid practice.”

Cincinnati’s first fall camp practice was held at Nippert Stadium, as will its next two practices this week. The team will then move most of the remaining “training camp” practices to Higher Ground for the 26th straight season.

“This early on we’re watching out for a look in their eyes and making sure they’re focused and intent on taking care of business,” Satterfield said. “I saw that today, there was good chatter out there which is what you want. You want these guys to help each other out, but at the same time have that competition and fire inside of them. It was fun to get out here and see the guys compete.”

Three All-Americans Return, ‘Godfather’ Update
UC returns a trio of All-Americans in 2024, with 2022 All-American Mason Fletcher and 2023 All-American Luke Kandra leading their respective position groups. Dontay “The Godfather” Corleone, a 2022 All-American, participated in non-contact drills as he works his way back from a medical issue that sidelined him earlier this summer. He is not cleared to return to full-contact action.

“He was out here today, and he was able to jump in a do a few things,” Satterfield said. “Obviously he’s only participating in what the trainers will allow him to do and he’ll work through that as we go through camp. We were excited to have him out here today. Even on the reps he’s not getting he’s out there doing a lot of coaching, so he’s staying involved mentally.”

Tinsley Looks to Lead Offensive Line
One of the top rushing teams in the nation last season, Cincinnati returns its entire starting offensive line and running back Corey Kiner for 2024. The offensive line paved the way for the Bearcats to average 217.1 rushing yards per game a year ago, which ranked fifth in the country. Redshirt senior offensive lineman Dartanyan Tinsley, who started all 12 games at left guard in 2023, is looking to be one of the leaders in the trenches for UC this season.

“For me, last year was about establishing who I am as a person and who I am as a player,” Tinsley said. “Now I’m ready to take on more of a vocal leadership role. Being around the guys and pushing them vocally, not just by example.”

The Bearcats open the 2024 season at home on Saturday, Aug. 31 vs. Towson.

• Love
Reactions: jon cowett
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.