ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops Recruiting ***INsider: Jermal Jones***

jason stamm

Aug 11, 2008
Please do not copy/paste or summarize any portion of this post to other Web sites or message boards, as it is a direct violation of copyright laws and could result in the termination of your Rivals.com subscription per our terms of service. Thank you.

Hey guys, I mentioned I'd be moving to some basketball targets, as that's now taken focus, with Peach Jam (BIG event on the EYBL) coming up Saturday. I won't be there, but Rivals will have tons of coverage coming out of it, from our friends Rob Cassidy and Jordan James. But I did catch up with one of the guys the Bearcats offered recently, Jermal Jones, or at least his dad, Jermal Jones Sr.
Jones Sr told me one of the biggest things is that Jones Jr has moved from the Florida Rebels to Jet Academy in EYBL. They think it'll be a better fit and lead to better exposure, with Peach Jam coming up. His dad didn't talk about a ton of specific schools, but UC, Purdue, Stanford, Texas and South Florida as schools they've heard from in recent weeks. He told me they'll visit the first three some time next month, during the open visit period, after the summer season.

With UC, Jones Sr. told me "We have a good relationship." He said the coaches have told him they want to "meet and greet" at Peach Jam, so we might know more of how serious the Bearcats are and when a date might be that the Jones' will visit UC. One of the biggest reasons for their interest in the Bearcats is Jizzle James, who's from central Florida like they are.

But the school Jones Sr. kept going on about was Purdue. He loves the situation there, how he believes the Boilermakers develop high school guys, rather than rely on the transfer portal. "When Matt Painter calls you, he just went to the championship and not many get that opportunity," Jones Sr. told me. They even considered transferring to La Lumiere (Ind.) a prep school not that far from Purdue. I'm not saying that's the reason they'd transfer there, but he would have been much closer for sure.

So right now, Purdue seems like the school to watch the most. But I think UC is right there, but really wants to see Jones Jr. live at Peach Jam. I expect Jones to visit UC next month, we just don't know when. Also, Jones Sr. told me his son will definitely transfer high schools this fall. My guess is Montverde (Fla.), but we'll see.

Full story coming with Jones Sr.'s comments.

Reactions: jon cowett
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.