ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting ***INsider: Xavier Spikes***

jason stamm

Aug 11, 2008
Please do not copy/paste or summarize any portion of this post to other Web sites or message boards, as it is a direct violation of copyright laws and could result in the termination of your Rivals.com subscription per our terms of service. Thank you.

Guys, I caught up with one of UC's most recent visitors, OL Xavier Spikes, who visited UC on July 31 for the first day of fall camp and was offered a scholarship on the visit.
Spikes has been committed to Georgia State since June 12. That visit to UC was his first to Clifton and his first power four offer. I do think there's a good possibility he gets more bigger offers after a few games, when his film circulates. So, I think the Bearcats are getting in at a great time here.

On his UC visit, Spikes said he liked everything about Georgia State, which is why he committed, but with the Bearcats, "just taking everything I said about Georgia State and amplify it." He loved UC's facilities, the weight room, dorms, everything he saw. He told me he's spoken mostly with Cass Simmons, UC's director of recruiting, though a little bit with Zac Cardwell, who signed off on the offer. Spikes told me, "They seem like down to Earth and they mean what they say." It's a relationship that hasn't gotten super far, but enough to get him on a visit.

Spikes told me right now he's considering UC, Georgia State and Georgia Southern. It might seem odd that he's considering the other two, but he told me, "The only thing (Georgia) State and (Georgia) Southern have over (Cincinnati) is my family coming to the game." Spikes insists he doesn't have to stay close to home. I know Atlanta isn't too far away, but for Spikes, who's lived in that area his whole life, it is. So, that's the biggest hurdle right now, that if UC is all in here, it has to convince him that he won't be too far from home and that he'll be ok.

He doesn't have any visits set right now. But I'd imagine Spikes will get official visits set to all three this fall. He told me he doesn't have a decision timeline, but would like to decide at the end of the season. This could go into December, but I think unless he gets a lot of big offers, this will be done mid-fall. Bearcats are in the clear driver's seat right now. So, we'll see when they can get him on a visit.

Full story coming.

• Love
Reactions: jon cowett
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.