ADVERTISEMENT

A look back and a look ahead…

Tim P Adams

Gold Member
Oct 21, 2022
The 2022 season ended with a bit of a thud as the Bearcats were totally outmatched in the Wasabi Fenway Bowl.

A tip of the cap to Louisville, which had an excellent game plan despite having only three position coaches on the staff. They attacked the UC quarterbacks and controlled the line of scrimmage all day. If UC was going to score, it was going to be through the air, and Cincinnati managed to do that only once thanks to a couple of miraculous pitch and catches from Prater to Wyatt Fischer In the 2nd quarter.

As I look back at the season, one thing stands out. Despite having several all-league offensive linemen returning, the overall play from that group was substandard. When Gino added Mike Cummings to the staff in the off-season to tutor the offensive front, I thought it was a great addition, but it just didn’t work. Maybe in time it would have, but the Bearcats struggled at the offensive LOS all season.

Louisville’s offense changed the game after the Cards learned they were able to create gaping running lanes attacking the UC defense’s left side late in the 1st quarter, and the Bearcats were never in the game after halftime.

Although I know some fans are worried about hiring a head coach that was probably sitting on Louisville’s hot seat, seeing the disparity in size, athleticism and depth yesterday makes me think Coach Satterfield might have a better grasp on what the UC program needs as it heads into the toughest league in which it has ever competed.

It will be interesting to see who the new staff can ink to letters of intent on Wednesday, but the bigger challenge will be who the staff can lure out of the transfer portal. Those additions will decide just how competitive Bearcat football will be next season.

As a guy that has followed UC football for decades, I often wondered how great it would be if a UC team could win 9 games. Because of that, I can’t be too disappointed about this season, but it’s very possible tougher days lie ahead. Regardless, I’m still excited about Bearcat football next season and seeing an entirely new group of schools coming to Nippert Stadium. It should be fun.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News